Re: Fonts, glyphs and infinite Unicode (was String name etc)

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 10:42:54 CST

    At 12:41 +0100 2005/04/25, Arcane Jill wrote:
    >I did not know about that. but since you pointed it out, I looked it
    >up. It seems that all about web fonts, and the definition of how it
    >all will work, is described at
    >http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-webfonts-20020802/.
    >
    >Hans: if this mechanism works, you won't need an infinite number of
    >codepoints, since, if you can place your desired glyphs inside a web
    >font with PUA codepoints, they will display correctly on all
    >browsers (or at least, all browsers which support web fonts).

    I think the natural evolution is to add to a universal character set
    also abstract characters than can describe the two (or higher
    dimensional) layouts used in math and music. The problem is how to do
    it intelligently; some research is probably needed here. Then a
    principle I suggested as to what should be considered an abstract
    character is that is a semantic unit that in some sense is atomic. If
    one wants a good two-dimensional layout, the problem is to find a
    good set of atoms.

    --
       Hans Aberg