Re: String name and Character Name

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 11:27:35 CST

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:01:32 +0100, Peter Kirk wrote:

    > OK, but it is not immediately obvious to ordinary users that
    > immutability makes the names not apt for a user interface. Indeed this
    > does not seem to have been clear to the TUS editors, nor to software
    > writers for Microsoft, BabelPad etc who use these names in user
    > interfaces. So it would make sense to spell this out more clearly.

    Guilty as charged. It is not at all obvious to me that it is not appropriate to
    use the Unicode names in a UI.

    I was thinking of releasing versions of BabelPad and BabelMap with all Unicode
    names expunged and "Search by Name" function disabled, just to please Jill and
    Peter; but then again I write software to please myself, not anyone else, so I
    think I'll leave things just the way they are.

    Andrew