Re: String name and Character Name

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 15:36:56 CST

    On 25/04/2005 18:27, Andrew C. West wrote:

    >Guilty as charged. It is not at all obvious to me that it is not appropriate to
    >use the Unicode names in a UI.
    >
    >I was thinking of releasing versions of BabelPad and BabelMap with all Unicode
    >names expunged and "Search by Name" function disabled, just to please Jill and
    >Peter; but then again I write software to please myself, not anyone else, so I
    >think I'll leave things just the way they are.

    Not to please me, but to please the UTC, which according to Asmus has
    taken a decision that Unicode character names should not be used in UIs,
    but has failed to notify the editors of the text of the standard.

    I have always held that an alternative mechanism is required, but until
    one is defined you are probably doing the best thing even if you are
    defying the UTC.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)