Transliterator

From: Chetan Pandey (chetanpandey@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 21:53:38 CST

    Dear List:

    I am trying to build a Java program that will convert Devanagari Input into the English Transliteration System( dont even know its name) which has bars over long(dirgha) vowels such as

    [a + BAR ABOVE] for "aa" as in balm,
    [i + BAR ABOVE] for "ii" as in meat, [u + BAR ABOVE] for "uu" as in boot,
    [a + BAR ABOVE] for "aa" as in balm,
    [m + DOT ABOVE } for M as in saMgiita

    etc.

    If someone can pls tell me what this Scheme is called and where it is represented in Unicode, I will be very grateful.

    Sincerely,

    Chetan Pandey