Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Hans Aberg (
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 18:35:15 CDT

  • Next message: Patrick Andries: "Re: Corrections to Glagolitic"

    At 01:00 +0200 2005/05/14, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >From: "Peter Kirk" <>
    >>A guillemot is a bird. The marks which you are talking about are
    >>called guillemets.
    >I know, but I used the English term used in Unicode names, because
    >the message was in English. I don't know if the French term
    >"guillemet" is actually an acceptable or prefered term for English

    My Merriam-Webster's dictionary mentions guillemot as a bird and
    guillemet as the symbols << and >>. It says that the latter is the
    French irreg. dim. of Guillaume William, reputed name of its inventor.

       Hans Aberg

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Fri May 13 2005 - 18:36:56 CDT