Re: what is Latn?

From: Erkki Kolehmainen (erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 09:07:23 CDT

    When trying to follow this thread, I fail to understand why Mr. Morfin
    keeps on insisting that a script could and should be defined as a closed
    set (other than e.g. as a snapshot of what has been defined in a given
    version of ISO 1064 _and_ Unicode). We may and do still encounter new
    Latin characters (and more so: new characters of other scripts), many of
    which will undoubtedly lead to a discussion on whether they are truly
    new - yet to be encoded - characters or glyph variations or whatever. -
    Nevertheless, a rose is a rose.

    Incidentally, as there is no absolute truth, it gets to be truly
    impossible to agree on what characters (of a given script) are used for
    a given language. We honestly tried that a few years ago in a CEN
    Workshop for the languages of Europe (which we couldn't agree on, either).

    Erkki I. Kolehmainen