Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 09:59:46 CDT

    On May 20, 2005, at 5:54 AM, Peter Kirk wrote:

    > Well, Klingon has been rejected, but Deseret and Shavian have been
    > encoded although I am unaware of any non-fantasy use of these
    > scripts, and Tengwar and Cirth, which are certainly fantasy
    > scripts, are roadmapped.

    I'm aware of only one "fantasy" use of Deseret -- in the movie "Plan
    10 from Outer Space" (not to be confused with the Ed Wood film with a
    similar title). Otherwise, it is currently used by hobbyists and had
    a small but not insignificant and decidedly serious use in Utah in
    the mid-19th century. (Ken Beesley has discovered that the first
    phonetic representation of Hopi is in Deseret, as it happens.)

    There is a user community actively promoting the use of Shavian
    today. The original publication of "Androcles and the Lion" isn't
    "fantasy" in the same sense that Tengwar and Cirth are.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com