Re: Transliterating ancient scripts [was: ASCII and Unicode lifespan]

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 12:48:03 CDT

    Tom Emerson wrote at 10:07 AM on Monday, May 23, 2005:

    >Dean Snyder writes:
    >> Transliteration is lossy.
    >
    >Not necessarily.

    I do not confine lossiness only to the correspondence between the
    abstract characters of one script and those of another - obviously that
    can be done losslessly. What I also include is GLYPHIC correspondence,
    which almost tautologically, transliteration loses. And, since glyphic
    correspondence is important for some activities (see below), we encode
    scripts.

    >Transcription is by definitionlossy. However, it is
    >possible to develop a transliteration scheme that is not lossy: the
    >Buckwalter transliteration for Arabic is not lossy for contemporary
    >Arabic orthography (though it is not suitable for Qur'anic.)

    Buckwalter's transliteration of Arabic <http://www.qamus.org/
    transliteration.htm> is, as are all transliterations, lossy. You cannot
    tell, for example, from this transliteration that Arabic r & z are
    differentiated only by a tiny dot. THAT is pertinent information in many
    contexts.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar