Proofreading fonts

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 22:29:57 CDT

    Hi list,

    Suppose I have a text to proofread that includes lots of "â" (a with
    circumflex accent).

    There are two problems here. One is to verify that "â" appears in the
    graphical rendition of the text everywhere it should appear. Ok, that's
    easily enough done. But now suppose I want to verify not just the
    graphical representation of the text, but the structure of the encoded
    text itself. Maybe I want to make sure the "â" is everywhere a
    representation of U+00E2, LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX, and not
    U+0061 LATIN SMALL LETTER A plus U+0302 COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT. Or
    vice-versa.

    There would be various ways of doing this, but the way that is easiest
    on the proofreader is to have some kind of graphical variance the
    indicates the underlying structure. I.e. a transparent font. For
    example, plain "â" might map to U+00E2, while the combination of "a"
    and "^" might use a different glyph, such as a subfixed circumflex to
    indicate that "a" is encoded separately. Alternatively, U+00E2 and
    other compound characters might use a subfixed mark of some kind to
    indicate that the base character is not encoded separately.

    Are there any "transparent" fonts like this? Should proofreading
    variants be standardized? Such a font would be especially useful for
    editing Arabic text.

    thanks,

    gregg