RE: Handling of Combining Characters

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 16:11:56 CDT

    > [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Rajeev J Sebastian

    > I think MS Word (or some Microsoft product) has an option to
    > show the text "split" up into individual code points so that,
    >
    > ക്ക = ക + ് +ക

    Word does not have an option to split up text like that. Perhaps, if you use the Office Language Settings tool to disable all complex scripts you might get it to block shaping (I'd have to check), but that's not particularly useful, I think. You'd be better off creating a no-shaping font; e.g. you could created a Malayalam font with no OpenType tables and in which all the combining marks were made spacing (with a dotted circle, perhaps), then that would give you that result.

    Peter Constable