Re: CLDR plural handling info?

From: Theo Veenker (Theo.Veenker@let.uu.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 17:37:22 CDT

    Patrick Andries wrote:
    > Theo Veenker a écrit :
    >

    >> Rule 1
    >> two forms:
    >> n==1 -> plural form 0
    >> otherwise -> plural form 1
    >> applies to:
    >> Germanic family
    >> Danish, Dutch, English, German, Norwegian, Swedish
    >> Finno-Ugric family
    >> Estonian, Finnish
    >> Latin/Greek family
    >> Greek
    >> Semitic family
    >> Hebrew
    >> Romanic family
    >> Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
    >> Artificial
    >> Esperanto
    >>
    >> Rule 2
    >> two forms:
    >> n==0 || n==1 -> plural form 0
    >> otherwise -> plural form 1
    >> applies to:
    >> Romanic family
    >> French, Brazilian Portuguese
    >>

    > Why is n == 0 not considered in Rule 1 ? What about the fact that n == 0
    > sometimes implies using a different form in mormal speech rather than
    > computer generated text ("Es gibt kein Datei", rather than "Es gibt
    > 0/null Datein" ) ? I would also think in Dutch one would say "Er is geen
    > fout" and not "Er zijn 0/nul fouten". Just an impression.

    I had this set of rules in my archive and I've implemented a message
    formatter using these rules, but the rules as written here come from
    GNU gettext so I can only guess why there is no zero case. It's an
    idea to take into account.

    >> Rule 6
    >> three forms:
    >> n%10==1 && n%100!=11 -> plural form 0
    >> n%10>=2 && n%10<=4 && (n%100<10 || n%100>=20) -> plural form 1
    >> otherwise -> plural form 2
    >> applies to:
    >> Slavic family
    >> Croatian, Czech, Russian, Slovak, Ukrainian
    >>
    > Coincidently, I had also recently requested a change in ChoiceFormat
    > for Russian (not that I have much hope, note ;-)) since
    > RuleBaseNumberFormats or ranges are just too cumbersome when you want to
    > catch the modulo logic, I find.

    Yes, more flexibility doesn't always make things easier to use.

    Theo