Re: Announcement: Beta 2 of Unicode 5.0 Data Files

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 17:01:58 CST

    James Kass asked:

    > > The Unicode Consortium has decided to issue Beta 2 of the Unicode
    > > Character Database for Unicode 5.0. This extends the feedback period until
    > > May 9, 2006.
    >
    > from: http://www.unicode.org/versions/beta.html
    >
    > "The Unicode Character Database portion is planned for
    > release at the end of March 2006."
    >
    > I've been interpreting that to mean that Unicode 5.0 will
    > become official at the end of March 2006 and trying to
    > prepare fonts and so forth to be ready by then.

    That is in fact a reasonable interpretation, and was the
    original plan.

    > What is the target date for Unicode 5.0 being official?

    The UTC decided that the Unicode Character Database wasn't
    ready, and moved to Plan B, which will be to release the
    UCD and all the UAX's together, soon after the May, 2006
    UTC meeting -- so likely June at this point.

    (We will need to update the statement on the beta.html page
    to reflect that.)

    --Ken