Re: The Phaistos Disc

From: Elliotte Harold (elharo@metalab.unc.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 12:38:55 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > Please see
    > http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/n3066r-phaistos.pdf

    The following is unclear:

    The Unicode Technical Committee looked at a proposal by John Jenkins to
    encode it in 1997, and it was “not accepted” at that time. This is not
    the same thing as saying that it was “rejected” however. The
    UTC does “reject” proposals. What it meant is that the proposal did not
    give enough reasons for action to be taken one way or another. In the
    nine years since then, interest in the Phaistos Disc has grown, and we
    believe that there is good reason now to encode its characters.

    Did you mean to say that the UTC does *not* reject proposals, or that it
    sometimes does but not in this case? If the former, a word is missing.
    If the latter, this seems unnecessary, and reads a little funny. In that
    case, I suggest just deleting this sentence.