Re: The Phaistos Disc

From: Elliotte Harold (elharo@metalab.unc.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 12:42:36 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > Please see
    > http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/n3066r-phaistos.pdf

    I accept your arguments that we can reasonably identify and enumerate
    the characters in advance of decipherment.

    I do wonder, however, about the assignment of Unicode properties such as
    punctuation and LTR to individual characters. That seems to be a big
    leap, based on very little actual evidence. A second instance of the
    script could completely overturn all of this.

    If the disc is encoded at this time, are those properties then set in
    stone? Could we change them later?

    Perhaps most importantly, should I be worried that you posted this on
    April 1? :-)