Re: The Phaistos Disc

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 03:59:06 CST

    At 07:35 +0100 2006-04-05, Richard Wordingham wrote:

    >The Phaistos disk characters run up against one
    >major objection from TUS 4.0 Section 1.1
    >(Coverage) Paragraph 3: 'Note, however, that the
    >Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic,
    >personal, novel, or private-use characters, nor
    >does it encode logos or graphics.' The Phaistos
    >disk characters are not being encoded to enable
    >meaning to be encoded - they are proposed as a
    >handy way to call up certain graphics, namely
    >the pictures of certain characters.

    I do not believe that your view of what
    "graphics" vois à vis the Phaistos Disc
    characters is what was intended in that text of
    the Unicode Standard. And as the proposal states,
    "There is general agreement that the symbols on
    the inscription are an example of writing".

    As Karl Pentzlin has just said, "There is a
    well-defined symbol set which is needed by a wide
    user community in plain text."