Re: preliminary proposal for a new Cyrillic character addition

From: Sergiy Kuzmenko (s.kuzmenko@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 19:38:40 CST

    Thank you for the references. It looks like an official proposal is
    already in progress.

    You are correct, this letter had indeed several possible phonetic
    equivalents, "yn" among them, although I believe that "yn" is a later
    development that came as an abbreviation of a common sequence: 1n ->
    1' -> 1. In the first documented occurrence of this letter dating back
    to 1499 it was a part of the preposition "1n" ("n" being written as a
    separate letter).

    Cheers
    SK