Re: are Unicode codes somehow specified in official national linguistic literature ? (worldwide)

From: Cristian Secară (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 06:00:51 CDT

    On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:32:31 +0800, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:

    > What is the status of the locale data for Romanian in Romainia?
    > Ideally this should reflect the orthographic and typographic
    > rules/conventions for the language.

    As far as I know there is no official repository for that kind of
    thing. Everyone assumes that everything is "known".
    At the end of 2005 and begining of 2006 I had a modest attempt
    to get out of sleep an old project for collecting data for a presumable
    registration of cultural elements at
    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg20/
    but I get stuck because of some administrative requirements from
    the ISO/IEC 15897 standard.

    As for CLDR, I don't understand much there. It is true I missed this
    list for some time and I only learned about the CLDR project about two
    weeks ago.
    My main question is what language it deserves ? Main Romanian, or all
    languages spoken over Romanian territory ? (minorities) Because I found
    references for characters that do not belong to Romanian language (like
    characters Đ, Ż). On the other hand, if the minorities languages *are*
    counted in, then the list is not complete, assuming I looked at the
    proper one.

    Other than that, the quotation data is completely wrong (I think I
    already mentioned that in another thread).
    I am not sure what the difference is between "d MMMM yyyy" and "dd MMMM
    yyyy".
    And generally, I don't know how to look at that data in a more human
    friendly form.

    Cristi

    --
    Cristian Secară