Re: triple diacritic (sch with ligature tie in a German dialect writing document)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 06:18:03 CDT

    It's strange that I did not receive such messages from the list. Sometimes I get such messages from other sources, but my local antivirus will filter it (or the antivirus filter of my ISP which keeps them in a separate storage folder).

    Does this mean that HTML encoded messages will be ignored too? It will become difficult to discuss some issues if some rich-text format is not supported, because updating web pages for what should be discussions will be very messy.

    Note that using HTML on this list should be avoided as much as possible, unless there are some reason for using it (when using plain-text would make the message difficult to interpret).

    Rzgarding diacritic mark positioning, using plain-text is really messy and looks like "ASCII art" with unclear interpretations. So instead, allow people to send images in attachment, and include an alternate URL in the text of their messages. And make sure that your email agent does not simply drop the messages that just happen to include an image, without even verifying if it's viral, but have it remove only the image attachement. You'll still have the URL you want, or you'll be able to get the images using one of the online archives of this list.

    The bad thing of using external images with URLs is that it's in fact *less secure* than sending a simple image attachment which can be controled by the list itself, and by all those on this list that are running anti-malware tools, because the target of the URL can be changed at any time without notice. It does not allow archival of these discussions, and they may become unavailable at anytime (for example, because someone changes its ISP, or does not renew its domain name).

    There's less security in an external (unchecked) URL than in an attachment (that's why modern email readers now won't display by default the external documents referenced by an URL, but will allow displaying images sent as attachments, because they can be checked by tools and they don't have privacy issues, given that they canbe rendered without making a connection to an external server).

    Also, many people can read emails, but cannot connect directly to a random URL on the web due to organization restrictions or firewall settings.

    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>