Re: are Unicode codes somehow specified in official national linguistic literature ? (worldwide)

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 07:31:10 CDT

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Erkki Kolehmainen wrote:

    > The CLDR data is available with the help of the the Survey Tool in a user
    > friendly manner for both viewing and updates.

    I'm afraid it's user friendly only in a rather relative sense, basically
    as opposite to XML format (which is actually reasonably readable, due to
    mnemonic names for _most_ elements). It mixes data related to the vetting
    process with the actual data, and neither the structure nor the appearance
    is particularly user-friendly. Actually I find it quite difficult to
    read.

    > There is no data yet for the Romani language. Somebody has to provide the
    > base data for the language, after which one can make the necessary
    > adjustments for the region, such as Romani in Romania (or Finland).

    That's a big problem actually. For some languages, there is one country
    where the language is spoken as a majority language and as an official
    language, and if there is just one such language, or one of such countries
    is clearly larger than others, it is natural to expect authorities or
    organizations in that country to specify the base data. However, the
    great majority of world's languages lacks a country of their own in that
    sense.