Re: Reality check - non-Unicode in Guinea-GTZ documents 2005

From: Kent_Spielmann@sil.org
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 14:24:58 CDT

    > Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote on 08/17/2006 12:30:09 PM:

    > Curtis Clark wrote:
    > > On 2006-08-17 05:10, Don Osborn wrote:
    > >> Does anyone know about how Unicode (and internationalization &
    > >> multilingual computing generally) is treated in major university
    > >> computer science programs?
    > >

    > Sometimes I mention/discuss it a little in my graduate level courses on
    > XML and Java at Polytechnic in Brooklyn. It's certainly not a major
    > focus of any curriculum or course I know of.

    Does any one have any favorite web resources or teaching materials for
    introducing Unicode to the uninitiated? Things that are fairly free from
    technical jargon. How about a curriculum, teaching assignments or tests?

    We in SIL are trying to create e-courses on Unicode, for different level
    users, from General Users to IT Support Personnel. Any suggestions or
    materials would be greatly appreciated.

    By the way, the 8 bit fonts in the documents that started this thread are
    some of our old SIL fonts; I cringe every time I see people still using
    them, but awareness is hard to create. If anyone reading this doesn't know,
    a variety of free, excellent quality Unicode fonts designed for linguistics
    and minority language applications are available from the SIL Scripts
    website http://scripts.sil.org/FontDownloads.

    Kent Spielmann

    SIL International Linguistics Department
    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road,
    Dallas, TX 75236 USA
    Tel: + 1 972 708 7570