Re: New RFC 4645-4647 (language tags)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 09:41:16 CDT

    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
    > Dialectical differences like the ones you are thinking of will be
    > handled by "extended language" (not "extension") subtags in the ISO
    > 639-3-aware replacement for RFC 4646, currently under development.

    Ok, but when I look at the current draft list of ISO 639-3 language codes, most of them do not qualify as extended languages, to be encoded after a primary language, and would finally go to ISO 639-2; and there are codes for language families/groups/collections that would fit in ISO-639-2 and that could be further qualified by an extended language, but this won't work for many languages in existing ISO 639-2.

    So I am wondering if ISO 639-3 will really contain a list of codes, and if, in fine, it would be better to have most of the new codes integrated into -2, just for the coherence (-3 includes all the codes of -2).

    If ISO 649-3 is published like it is now, there will be no better choice than updating RFC 4646 to accept also ISO 649-3 codes as valid primary language subtags, or most of these codes will have to be registered separately in the IANA registry (not redundant then).