Re: New RFC 4645-4647 (language tags)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 01:13:15 CDT

    Philippe,

    ISO 639-3 will have a number of "macrolanguages," which are broad
    linguistic concepts like "Chinese" that have more refined linguistic
    concepts like "Wu" or "Hakka" or "Mandarin" underneath them.

    Please read the deeper explanation of this at the official ISO 639-3 Web
    site, and then read RFC 4646 again, and come back when you are more
    familiar with the underlying concepts.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA