Re: Fw: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Steve Summit (scs@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 14:02:17 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > From: "Mike" <mike-list@pobox.com>
    >> This is probably not the forum for language wars. However, I will
    >> defend C++ as a viable language for Unicode programming. I have
    >> written a library that performs all four forms of normalization,
    >> upper/lowercase conversions, collation using the default Unicode
    >> collation element table (no tailoring just yet), and conversion
    >> between the various UTF's and Windows' little-endian UTF-16.
    >> Internally I use an unsigned int to hold code points, avoiding the
    >> uncertainty of wchar_t.
    >
    > "unsigned int" is not the adequate datatype (wrong semantics,
    > unspecified range, unspecified size, especially vectors if code units,
    > inadequate with the native string constants datatype, ...

    "People who believe a thing to be impossible should not stand
    in the way of those who are doing it."

    Other than the (granted) incompatibility with string constants,
    the rest of Philippe's assertions about unsigned int's alleged
    unsuitability for manipulating Unicode characters in the BMP are
    incorrect, but I'll spare the list a point-by-point rebuttal.