Re: Fw: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Mike (mike-list@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 15:02:05 CDT

    >> Internally I use an unsigned int to hold code points, avoiding the
    >> uncertainty of wchar_t.
    >
    > "unsigned int" is not the adequate datatype

    Now why did I *know* you would answer back with this? ;-)

    I happen to agree with you that there should be standard definitions
    of fixed-sized integer types, such as uint32, but the fact that it
    doesn't have them is not the major imperfection you claim it to be.

    Note that in C#, one of your pet languages, a char is only 16 bits,
    and a string is an array of char, so it is not ideal for Unicode.

    > As long as C/C++ will persist being used in application programming,
    > there will be resistance to maintain legacy 7/8-bit character encodings.

    This is a stretch.

    Mike