Re: Another reason to love the Universal Character Set

From: Guy Steele (Guy.Steele@Sun.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 11:19:52 CST

    On Sep 28, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    >> Image:Letter_to_Russia_with_krokozyabry.jpg
    >
    > Excellent! The comment does not say if that letter reached its
    > destination, but if so, I have admiration for the postman who
    > decrypted the address using a ISO-8859-1 to KOI-8R transcoding
    > table ; may be this issue is not so uncommon...

    Yes, this is quite admirable.

    And then there is the famous case of a teenager who mailed his
    subscription renewal to MAD Magazine and wrote no address on
    the envelope---he merely pasted on a picture of Alfred E. Neuman.
    Along the way, someone in the post office wrote in the correct
    ZIP code, but no other notations were made, and the letter did
    reach its destination.

    In general, post office workers are very good and very smart
    about trying to get letters to their destinations if at all possible.

    --Guy Steele