Re: Fwd: Creative commons' license symbols

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 05:16:43 CST

    On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 11:15:39AM -0800,
     Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote
     a message of 28 lines which said:

    > There aren't many symbols similar to the copyright sign that are as
    > widely used. If the CC symbols should take hold and enter truly
    > widespread use, not just among advocates of whatever
    > intellectual-property model they represent but among the general
    > public, then they should be encoded.

    AFAIK, that would be a *big* policy change for Unicode. Until now, you
    just needed to demonstrate an actual *use*. Now, you would need to
    demonstrate a *widespread* use? Such an policy, applied a few years
    ago, would have seriously reduced the size of the Unicode set.

    For instance, N'ko would never have been encoded (it is just used by a
    few activists).

    > I have seen requests to encode these logo-like characters
    > accompanied by general statements that open-source is great,
    > proprietary software is evil, and Microsoft is the Borg. It's hard
    > for me to disengage the character requests from the agenda in such
    > cases.

    Encoding requests are very often accompanied by political statements
    (the N'ko is, again, a good example). Unicode should be about the
    facts (charecters in use), not about what you think of the political
    agenda of the people who request it.