N'ko (RE: Fwd: Creative commons' license symbols)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 12:39:18 CST

    Hi Stephane, With all due respect your assessment of the usage of N'ko is
    not well informed. It has a significant and growing usership on the local
    level esp. in upper Guinea but in other countries as well. Activists there
    are, but more than a few. As a movement it has been described most recently
    by Diane Oyler (The History of the N'ko Alphabet and its Role in Mande
    Transnational Identity: Words as Weapons, Cherry Hill, NJ: Africana
    Homestead Legacy Press, 2005; see also an earlier article at
    http://www.kanjamadi.com/n'koliteracy&guinea.html ).

    On the other hand it is not an official script, nor is it the only script
    used for Manding languages (so the map that António called to our attention
    at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WritingSystemsoftheWorld2.png should
    probably represent the area of N'ko usage with a crosshatch of two
    colorings). On the other hand the N'ko script is apparently used to a very
    limited degree for some other languages.

    On the issue of "widespread" as a condition for encoding in Unicode, if
    indeed this were adopted, it might rule out scripts of local and historic
    importance like Vai, Mende Kikakui, and Bamum.

    I won't get into the rest of the debate but thought I should offer this
    info...

    Don