Re: Unicode or specific language charset

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 14:50:23 CST

    Robert Kidd <promotions at editfast dot com> wrote:

    > I am the owner of http://www.translationhelp.com and I am debating
    > whether to use Unicode on the pages or not.
    > I have heard of some problems with Unicode and browser/computer
    > configuration so I am not sure if that is the best solution.

    This was a problem about 6 to 8 years ago. You should not have any
    difficulty with reasonably modern browsers and operating systems.

    > It also seems more complex and therefore more expensive and perhaps
    > more prone to bugs.

    I assure you that trying to support different encodings within the same
    Web site for different language content, such as ISO-2022-JP for
    Japanese and KOI8-R for Russian and so forth, is many times more complex
    and expensive and prone to bugs than using Unicode throughout.

    Others will doubtless provide you with the details of forms, charset
    negotiation, and what not.

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/