Re: Unicode or specific language charset

From: Addison Phillips (addison@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 16:04:10 CST

    Use UTF-8.

    Reports of problems with Unicode in browsers are mostly stale. Virtually
    all browsers actually in use (unless you insist on supporting Netscape 4
    or IE 4) will display UTF-8 just fine.

    You may want to provide for separate style sheets per language, since
    you will probably want the control how the browser selects fonts and
    otherwise display things for (say) Japanese or Chinese (although you
    should always allow the browser to search for a font if the ones you've
    named aren't present).

    But the trouble of transcoding between multiple encodings, plus the
    horror of HTML-entitization of characters from outside the current page
    encoding, plus the nastiness of detecting what encoding was used or
    purported to be used later: you will do well to avoid it all by using UTF-8.

    Some good material on this topic can be found on the W3C site:

       http://www.w3.org/International

    See especially:

       http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-char/#IDAPNFO
       http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset