Re: UniHan database

From: Richard Cook (rscook@socrates.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 09:42:28 CST

    On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:27 PM, John H. Jenkins wrote:

    > On Mar 2, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Viet Anh Vu wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to know which one is correct.
    >>

    > Well, the correct answer is that whichever one has the correct data
    > is the correct one. :-)
    >
    > For KangXi and Hanyu Da Zidian, I'd say the non-IRG values are more
    > likely to be correct, because we've done a considerable amount of
    > proofing for those.

    Yes. In the case of kIRGHanyuDaZidian vs. kHanYu: the kHanYu data was
    very carefully checked against a specific edition of the print
    source, as is described in the documentation

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Unihan.html#kHanYu

    And besides correcting errors, kHanYu is more complete than
    kIRGHanyuDaZidian, because kHanYu records source-internal
    unifications, which kIRGHanyuDaZidian completely glosses over.