Re: Arabic numbers

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 05:13:07 CST

    On 16 Mar 2007, at 00:49, Behnam wrote:

    > The problem of Mr. Tu is a minor one, and characters to be used for
    > logging in is not really a language issue.

    As for account name and password, I use to suggest to only use ASCII
    letters (a-z, A-Z) and digits (0-9), as the other characters may move
    around with the keyboard mapping: as one may not know what keyboard
    mapping is in use, and one cannot see what password one is typing, it
    can otherwise be quite difficult and frustrating to log in if the
    keyboard mapping for some reason has changed. :-) (A good password
    should contain at least one character and one digit, good to mix
    uppercase and lowercase characters, and should not be easily
    derivable from the words in a dictionary.) Some Latin script
    keyboards may have some ASCII letters in different places than the US
    (like the German), so it may be prudent to not use those letters for
    this purpose then. I do not know how it works with keyboard mappings
    for non-Latin scripts.

    So I think one should consider what method is most reliable for
    logins, taking into account what keyboard mappings may be in use, or
    move into place by accident.

       Hans Aberg