RE: Arabic numbers

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 10:29:49 CST

    Personnally I also use common punctuations... I just avoid the keys that
    require pressing AltGr on my French keyboard, because they have undesirable
    effects in some badly written softwares (that refuse to honor it and change
    the input focus as if I was pressing the Alt key to open a menu, or that
    delete my input because they think I am entering a Ctrl key)

    I think the same issue exists (and is even more serious) in Japan with the
    additional Hiragana/Katakana or Kana/Romaji switch modes...

    Let's not forget the common issue with the CapsLock mode which is not always
    reported correctly, or that works differently between keyboards (CapsLock or
    ShiftLock, the latter being the standard working mode for French, the former
    being used in US but often incorrectly set by default on Windows also with
    the French keyboard selection, until the users change this default in the
    keyboard control panel...)

    Thanks, now, XP and Vista do report these modes and display the
    language/keymap selection bar in its logon screen (but why does it remove
    this indication when there's only one keyboard installed?)