Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2007 - 01:33:44 CST

    At 18:23 -0400 2007-05-04, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

    ><devil's-advocate 1>
    >So should we encode the symbol for Prince too? After all, we
    >shouldn't deny Prince the character he needs to write his name
    >either! :)
    ></devil's-advocate 1>

    This is not analogous to LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S and you know it.

    >I tend to agree with you here, Michael, but a question presents
    >itself: are we really denying Peter the character he needs?

    Not any longer. LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S is now under ballot for
    inclusion in the standard.

    >Peter can consider WEISS an error if he likes, but that *is*
    >normative orthography.

    What the Innenministerium puts on his Ausweis is perhaps beyond his
    control, but what he prefers to send and receive in e-mail is his
    business.

    >If I want Laibow-Koser to be uppercased as LAIBOW-K9SER, that
    >doesn't mean we suddenly need a LATIN UPPERCASE O TYPE TWO that
    >looks suspiciously like DIGIT NINE, does it?

    I'm not impressed by the analogy. Sorry.