Re: Ranges/blocks ; font lookup by range

From: Asmus Freytag (
Date: Sat May 05 2007 - 21:48:01 CST

  • Next message: Asmus Freytag: "Re: Uppercase Ăź is coming? (U+1E9E)"

    On 5/5/2007 8:07 AM, Don Osborn wrote:
    > Two quick and basic questions:
    > 1) Is “character range” or “character block” the preferred term now?
    > I’m assuming that they are pretty much synonymous but wanted to check
    > before using one or the other for explaining Unicode to people without
    > much knowledge of how it works. “Block” and “character block” (the
    > latter as a crossref.) are in the Unicode glossary, but range is the
    > term used in the title of the charts. Sorry this is a tedious question
    > but it’s for a good purpose.
    In Unicode, a block is a named entity associated with a range of
    characters that is an integral multiple of 16.
    That should provide the relation between these two terms. A 256
    character range inside the Unified CJK Ideographs block, for example, is
    not a block. (In 10646 it's called a 'row', if aligned on even 256
    boundaries, but that's not a widely understood term out of context).


    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat May 05 2007 - 21:50:42 CST