Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 14:48:48 CDT

    Adam Twardoch wrote:

    > Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
    >> See previous reply. U+5350 isn't the Nazi swastika and doesn't look
    >> like it.

    > Are you suggesting that Unicode should encode a German "r", a French "r"
    > and an English "r" because they typically don’t look alike?

    I don't think it is a question of localisation or, in this case, political affiliation.
    The directionality of the arms varies enough in usage around the world, even to being
    found in both directions in the same cultural context, that having at least two swastika
    characters, with clockwise and counterclockwise arms, makes sense. The question is not
    whether one should encode the 'Nazi swastika', but whether one should treat a 45 degree
    rotation as a significant distinction requiring a further two characters.

    Then there are dotted swastikas...

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com