Re: Œœ on IBM AIX

From: Addison Phillips (addison@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 14:06:17 CDT

    One of the locales Ankit lists is:

       en_US.8859-15

    Any of the 8859-15 locales should be able to display the character, but
    that is only part of the problem.

    It is important to ensure that the character in question can survive the
    whole round trip to and from the database. The terminal display locale
    is only a small part of this.

    First, check the encoding used by the Oracle database:

      SELECT * FROM V$NLS_PARAMETERS;

    Look for NLS_CHARACTERSET in the results. And then look at the
    connection character encoding used by the client (usually part of the
    NLS_LANG environment variable, such as "AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P15").

    These all need to be compatible. For example, if your database uses the
    encoding AL32UTF8 (that is, UTF-8), then the database can store the
    characters you want---encoded as UTF-8. If your connection encoding is
    WE8ISO8859P15 (that is, ISO 8859-15), then you will get bytes consistent
    with that encoding in your queries---the database converts them to/from
    UTF-8 for storage using the specified encoding. It is very likely that
    your connection encoding is set to ISO 8859-1, though, and this is
    possible source of your woes (otherwise, instead of inverted question
    mark, you'd see random garbage bytes until you set your locale to use
    8859-15).

    Oracle does conversions to match the client character set. If you choose
    "WE8ISO8859P1" as the encoding, the oe liguature character will be
    converted to the substitution character, regardless of the locale you
    set. So be sure you set all of your settings (locale, NLS_LANG, database
    encoding) to match or at least support the characters you need.

    Note that there is no requirement to use a French or France-specific
    locale to do this. Those locales are necessary only if you want French
    behavior such as date formats, number formats, sorting, and so forth.
    For character display all you need is the correct character encoding.

    Best Regards,

    Addison

    ====

    For further reading, check out the Oracle Globalization Guide,
    especially Chapter 3:

      http://tinyurl.com/kwyql

    You might also find this configuration guide to be of some small use:

      http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/learn/learn_to_type.html

    --
    Addison Phillips
    Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.