RE: Titles and headings in Georgian script

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 14:58:51 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:
    > Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > > See for example:
    > > http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/fonts.html
    > >
    > > This should use the small-caps glyph variants defined in
    > OpenType/TrueType
    > > fonts.
    >
    > It should, but it doesn't: at least, not in my Firefox browser. What is
    > happening is that the uppercase character glyphs are being scaled down,
    > rather than the properly proportioned smallcap variant glyphs in the font
    > being used.

    This is a reasonnable default behavior for browsers when they can't find
    such variants in the currently selected font, or when the effective support
    of such font feature is still missing in the renderer used by the browser.

    The actual scaling behaviour may have several variants: one where the
    capitals are just scaled down by adjusting the font size, the other by
    scaling only the M-height down to the exposed x-height or some intermediate
    value, and the average capital width down to the average lowercase letter
    width (this generates better sizes). But artefacts will appear in both cases
    due to the irregular stroke width which will be reduced too (even if hinting
    is kept for enhancing the display at small sizes in such a way that strokes
    will remain approximately equal, but this won't be the case for larger sizes
    such as those used in titles).

    The small-cap variant is still better when rendering texts, because it will
    preserve the differences between lowercase and capital letters of the
    original text (only the original lowercase letters should be presented in
    small-cap variant, the uppercase letters should not be affected), and will
    avoiding filling the M-height (the extra vertical blank space will
    facilitate the reading of the capitals, notably in paragraphs like important
    notices and warnings found in many software licences about the exclusion or
    limitation of warranty; this is much less a problem for titles that are
    usually short or whose layout already includes taller line-heights in
    addition to the heading and trailing margins for the title paragraphs).