Re: Fish (was Re: Marks)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 16:59:16 CST

    I was planning to leave this thread where it was, gasping for
    breath beached on shore -- a nearly dead fish, but...

    Asmus was looking for specific citations of the use of the symbol
    and noted:

    > PS: wasn't able to locate a home page, but see the link, the first
    > reviewer mentions the fish in the ads for that company - they are far
    > from the only ones, but probably more frequent in other parst of the
    > country.
    >
    > http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/10787837/seattle_wa/lincoln_towing.html

    Lincoln Towing's use of the symbol can be see in this image
    of their business:

    http://www.daplus.us/ShowPhoto.aspx?abi=8964CE6828D68CA5AF084C345ABEFBDD3C005E92
    F106A3477AAC27C88D2E0B03&Partner=400240

    (My apologies if the email breaks up the URL using that absurdly
    long 256-bit identifier.)

    At any rate, if you don't see the actual picture, what it
    demonstrates, over and above the need for an encoded ichthys
    symbol, is the need for encoding of:

    U+XXXX COMBINING DOUBLE ICHTHYS ABOVE

    which in this case is applied to the soft-dotted "i" in
    "Lincoln", resulting in the removal of the dot over the "i",
    and with the tail of the double ichthys extending over the "n"
    in rendering.

    Oh, and don't forget about the need to encode:

    U+XXXX LATIN SMALL LETTER K WITH CROSS

    http://www.kentuckyadoptionservices.org/about-kas.html
    http://www.crossseek.com

    And:

    U+XXXX LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ROUNDED E WITH HOUSE

    http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Content/17/17324/6092464.jpg

    The latter also shows the inline use of the ICHTHYS to
    demonstrate the religious orientation of the realty company.

    --Ken