Re[2]: New brackets (6 new symbols)

From: Dmitry Turin (unicode20@narod.ru)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2007 - 04:33:34 CST

    Otto,

      I seek attentively, so i think,
    that bracket "stanket" (stand for egg) is __really necessary__
    http://unicode2.euro.ru/site/unicode2/en/author/convert_eng.htm
    especially because cognitive dissonance between brackets,
    existing in Unicode now.
      Bracket "hypket" maybe recommended, in addition to 2989,298a (triangle).

    PC> Cf. <http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html>
    PC> and <http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html>
    Thank you a lot.

    PC> U+2329 LEFT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET
    PC> U+232A RIGHT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET
    PC> U+3008 LEFT ANGLE BRACKET
    PC> U+3009 RIGHT ANGLE BRACKET
    Agreed, "quanket" is already exist.
    (1) But what is the visual difference between these pairs of brackets ?

    ===not enough difference, something like cognitive dissonance

    ---similar

    PC> U+3014 LEFT TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
    PC> U+3015 RIGHT TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
    PC> U+3018 LEFT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
    PC> U+3019 RIGHT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
    PC> U+301A LEFT WHITE SQUARE BRACKET
    PC> U+301B RIGHT WHITE SQUARE BRACKET
    Very simple to each other, there is no _enough_ difference.

    PC> U+2983 LEFT WHITE CURLY BRACKET
    PC> U+2984 RIGHT WHITE CURLY BRACKET
    Similar to {, }, i.e. 007b,007d

    PC> U+3016 LEFT WHITE LENTICULAR BRACKET
    PC> U+3017 RIGHT WHITE LENTICULAR BRACKET
    PC> U+3010 LEFT BLACK LENTICULAR BRACKET
    PC> U+3011 RIGHT BLACK LENTICULAR BRACKET

    ---bad

    PC> U+2045 LEFT SQUARE BRACKET WITH QUILL
    PC> U+2046 RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET WITH QUILL
    Bad idea: similar to mark "exist"

    PC> U+300A LEFT DOUBLE ANGLE BRACKET
    PC> U+300B RIGHT DOUBLE ANGLE BRACKET
    Some of them are not bracket in russian.
    (2) What is the visual difference between them and 27ea,27eb ?
    Only by purpose ?

    PC> U+300C LEFT CORNER BRACKET
    PC> U+300D RIGHT CORNER BRACKET
    PC> U+300E LEFT WHITE CORNER BRACKET