Re: Level of Unicode support required for CJKV

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 12:18:02 CDT

    John Knightley wrote,

    >As Andrew,
    >
    >explains quite clearly below this is a case where uunicode got it
    >correct. The difference is slight but very significant, even though
    >confusing (I think I earlier got these two reversed). To unify these
    >would be to change the language, which is not unicode's job.
    >> These two characters *look similar*, and in many fonts it is difficult
    >> to distinguish them clearly, but they are actually written with
    >> different, *non-unifiable* components.
    >>
    >> U+3ADA 㫚
    >> Written with Radical 72 (RI4 日 "sun") ...
    >>
    >> U+66F6 曶
    >> Written with Radical 73 (YUE1 曰 "speak") ...

    The difference and similarity between radicals 72 and 73 are
    reflected as Unification Pattern No. 68 on this beta page:
    http://kanji-database.sourceforge.net/housetsu.html

    (Note that the unification pattern is not the same as a rule.
    Also note that many confusable pairs are referenced on that
    page.)

    So, if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like
    a duck -- it might be a Bengal tiger.

    The point being, I suppose, that if I wrote "U+66F6 (㫚)",
    many people wouldn't know that I used the wrong character.

    Best regards,

    James Kass