Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 09:44:04 CST

    On 31/10/2007, Mark E. Shoulson <mark@kli.org> wrote:

    > vunzndi@vfemail.net wrote:
    > > The minimum is likely to be about 30 thousand, to be honest nobody
    > > knows what the upper limit is, but 100k would not be inconceivable.
    >
    > I knew that dropping planes 17-65535 was a bad idea!

    Why? We have 11 complete planes free. Let's be really generous and
    give two more to CJKV and Zhuang etc., two to Old Hanzi, one to
    Egyptian hieroglyphs, and a couple to Mesoamerican writing systems.
    Then we've still got four planes (quarter of a million characters)
    left for Atlantean and Martian.

    Andrew