RE: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 23:57:49 CST

> From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
> Behalf Of Ben Monroe

> Seriously though, out of the over a million code points, not one could
> be given for my surname?

Nothing stops everyone else in the world from doing just what you have done. Or worse: "I write my first name with this character, my first middle name with this character, ..." Or worse, "And I made up this character to represent my opinion of US foreign policy -- I use it all the time" etc.

> I'm not asking you to take my word.
> What kind of documents would you like?

We take your word for it. It's just policy not to encode such things.

> So, if the opposition is so great that the character will not be
> encoded, what are my options?

Maybe get the Japanese Industrial Standards agency to endorse your request by adding it to their standards first?

Peter