RE: Dotless J with stroke.

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 15:37:13 CST

    John Hudson wrote:
    > In this case, the people to take this up with would be the
    > International Phonetic
    > Association, since these are the people who a) reliably use a
    > form that resembles a barred
    > esh and b) call it 'Hooked barred dotless J'.

    (I'm far from an IPA expert, but...)

    There seems to be a logic to the name (and thus to how the glyph
    SHOULD look) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_palatal_implosive]:

    | Voiced palatal implosive
    |
    | ...dotless lowercase letter j with a horizontal stroke (the symbol
    | for the voiced palatal plosive) and a rightward hook (the diacritic
    | for implosives)...

    So I would conclude that an esh-like or turned f-like glyph would just
    be approximants, and not the intended glyph for any font. So please
    make Latin small letter dotless j with stroke and hook look according
    to its name (and definitely not with two strokes, misinterpreting the
    serif on the j-part as a stroke, which I see in some fonts).

            /kent k

    http://mudrac.ffzg.hr/~ltatomir/skripte/skripte/IPA_chart_2005.jpeg