Re: minimizing size (was Re: allocation of Georgian letters)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 04:21:57 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote,

    > ... Sometimes there is a large chunk of random text after the
    > "real" data; there have been other symptoms as well.

    Oh, you sometimes get those bizarre chunks at the end, too?

    I'm guessing that this bug relates to non-textual formatting
    information being sent to the clipboard which, when pasted
    into a text editor, gets displayed as the mojibake it is.

    I often get a whole bunch of extra empty lines followed by
    what appear to be random strings of a repeated Chinese
    ideograph (U+8080) interspersed with a control character
    (U+0080). (Sometimes there's additional gibberish.)

    This happens in BabelPad, but not Notepad. Notepad apparently
    assumes that it knows better than the user and/or other applications
    and removes the mojibake, whereas BabelPad faithfully inserts
    whatever is in the clipboard memory to the text area.

    Which application has the bug, BabelPad or Notepad? (Trick question,
    opinions will differ, and the real bug is in the clipboard and/or the
    application from which the data was copied.)

    Best regards,

    James Kass