Re: minimizing size (was Re: allocation of Georgian letters)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 15:27:25 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote,

    > I have copied ordinary text from Notepad to lots of other applications
    > and had no problem, whereas I have copied ordinary text from other
    > applications to BabelPad and had the mojibake problem. I suppose there
    > is a possibility that something other than BabelPad is the culprit, but
    > I'm applying the duck test here.
    >
    > As I said earlier, I assume Andrew will fix this for the next release of
    > BP, if he hasn't already.

    As a user, my expectation is that, when I press "control-V", everything
    in the memory buffer will be copied into the active text area. As far
    as I can see, this is what BabelPad does. (I could be wrong.)

    Which applications are you copying from? I've never observed this extra
    stuff coming from anything other than a PDF file. (But then, I mostly
    only use Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, BabelPad, Notepad, and PDFs
    in Windows.)

    I'm coming from the old IBM-PC days when control "C" copied selected
    text into the buffer, and control "V" copied whatever is in the buffer
    to the active text area. (Still works, too! Except that the buffer now
    apparently accepts non-textual data.)

    I've noticed in Outlook Express that, even though I have my compose/reply/
    read settings configured to only use plain text, if I copy from formatted
    text, the formatting *is getting preserved in the supposedly plain text
    area of the e-mail I'm writing*. (Fortunately, this disappears when saving
    and sending the message.) This is not only incredibly annoying, it strongly
    suggests that any problem with copy/pasting operations resides in the
    "clipboard" buffer.

    Best regards,

    James Kass