Re: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 05:21:53 CST

    On 3 Nov 2008, at 10:22, André Szabolcs Szelp wrote:

    > I was speaking of the default behaviour of the script to be able to
    > be written EITHER rtl OR ltr, (and NOT bustrophaedon).

    The default must be EITHER RTL or LTR. It cannot be both. So we
    proposed the default to be RTL, and the user can use directional
    overrides if he requires LTR directionality.

    Revived Old Hungarian uses European punctuation (single and double
    quotation marks, question mark, semicolon). It uses the REVERSED
    QUESTION MARK and REVERSED SEMICOLON when in its ordinary RTL layout.
    If directional overrides are used to effect LTR layout, the REVERSED
    QUESTION MARK does not mirror, and the REVERSED SEMICOLON does not
    reverse. The user must use QUESTION MARK and SEMICOLON in this case.

    Szabolcs and Karl are (I believe) suggesting that Old Hungarian have
    script-specific clones of European punctuation which *will* mirror
    when directional overrides are used.