Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Andrew Cunningham (lang.support@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2008 - 17:09:40 CST

    This just seems to be a case of not having an appropriate font installed.
    And the reality that OS vendors will provide fonts for languages they
    officially support, and will become hit and miss outside that repertoire.

    Begs the question of whether any font developers have included U+04E9 U+0304
    in their repertoire when developing their OpenType tables.

    I use languages requiring combining diacritics, and some times diacritic
    stacking every day. If I have access to appropriate fonts, the latest
    versions of Windows (Vista and XPSP2+) work fine.

    The barrier has always been font rendering/text layout support for older
    operating systems. A huge hurdle in some countries.Basically the technology
    exists. It works. But requires recent operating systems and fonts which have
    been designed to support the languages you need.

    Not ideal, but works if you have a recent OS.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Cunningham
    Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator