Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Raymond Mercier (rm459@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 02:21:03 CST

    Andrew Cunningham writes
    <<
    This just seems to be a case of not having an appropriate font installed. And the reality that OS vendors will provide fonts for languages they officially support, and will become hit and miss outside that repertoire.

    I use languages requiring combining diacritics, and some times diacritic stacking every day. If I have access to appropriate fonts, the latest versions of Windows (Vista and XPSP2+) work fine.

    Unfortunately it's not that simple. The attached shows the result with Doulos SIL, a few characters in this font combined with U+305. Doulos is supposed to meet the needs of combining diacritics, but plainly doesn't.
    I am using Word2007 on XP pro.

    Raymond Mercier

    DoulosExample.jpg