Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2008 - 10:20:11 CST

    Hans Aberg <haberg at math dot su dot se> wrote:

    >> I still think it would be reasonable to expect combining marks like
    >> macrons and circumflexes to be always centered over the base
    >> character, not off to the right, even if the vertical spacing is
    >> wrong. Like I said, almost nothing.
    >
    > I experimented a bit, one and a half decade ago, with creating the
    > Swedish letter (U00C5) in TeX, which then was necessary to do by
    > combining an A writing a small circle above it. It turns out to be
    > quite complicated, because characters may have a slant, to center the
    > circle on.

    Since ring-above is generally expected to attach to the base letter,
    it's not one of the combining marks with which I would expect this
    automatic behavior to work. Cedilla and ogonek and horn are other
    examples. I was thinking more of diacritics that float above the base
    letter, such that if they touch but the diacritic is still visible, the
    result is at least tolerable.

    http://www.ewellic.org