Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2008 - 15:40:09 CST

    On 23 Nov 2008, at 17:20, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >> I experimented a bit, one and a half decade ago, with creating the
    >> Swedish letter (U00C5) in TeX, which then was necessary to do by
    >> combining an A writing a small circle above it. It turns out to be
    >> quite complicated, because characters may have a slant, to center
    >> the circle on.
    >
    > Since ring-above is generally expected to attach to the base
    > letter, it's not one of the combining marks with which I would
    > expect this automatic behavior to work. Cedilla and ogonek and
    > horn are other examples. I was thinking more of diacritics that
    > float above the base letter, such that if they touch but the
    > diacritic is still visible, the result is at least tolerable.

    Yes, that is difficult, though not it may not be impossible. One
    would be simply saying that the combining letters should be drawn in
    layers behind the main character, or indicated by the font design how
    they should be layered. This way, if the ring dips far into the "A"
    it might be cut off, it shine through, as the font designer intends.

    But it is even more complicated, because in the Caledonia font from
    1967 I mentioned in other posts, the "A" is in fact pushed downwards
    so that the letter "Å" is exactly as high as the letter "l" (ell).
    This might be difficult to achieve if combining at compile time,
    though still not impossible.

       Hans